Entertainment

Shooting: Police remain quiet as ‘traumatised’ woman blasts Burna Boy, club

After a shooting incident at Club Cubana, a married woman named on Instagram as nemebriella_ lashed out at musician Damini Ogulu, alias Burna Boy, and the club’s management.

According to her, the shooting, which occurred on June 8, 2022, after she allegedly rejected Burna Boy’s advances, had traumatised her.

Two partygoers, Irebami Lawrence and Tolu, were shot by policemen assigned to the singer at the club on Victoria Island, Lagos State.

This occurred when a fight broke out between Burna Boy’s crew and several thrill-seekers.

Before the brawl, Burna Boy had allegedly sent a member of his camp to call nemebriella_ , who was at the club partying with her husband.

Narrating the incident, nemebriella_  in a post on her Instagram page, said she and her husband visited Nigeria for the wedding of a childhood friend of theirs when they encountered Burna Boy and his group at the club.

She said, “As the night progressed, one of Burna Boy’s friends walked to talk to me, his request was for Burna Boy to talk to me.

“On that first attempt, I told him I wasn’t interested in talking to Burna Boy and I am married to my partner. He came again the second time and was met with the same response.

“He came the third time and that caused a few of our friends to flare up as they asked why he kept coming to disturb me. There were words back and forth and one of Burna Boy’s friends attacked one of our friends, and as they attacked him, the situation degenerated into a fight.”

nemebriella_ said after the situation was brought under control, another fight broke out in Burna Boy’s camp, which had them shooting at people.

“The shootings happened twice at different times. His friends were also shooting at people trying to evacuate the club through the main entrance.

“They were out to kill and didn’t care who got hit. My partner’s head was bleeding profusely and his friend lost so much blood he needed a donor as soon as he got to the hospital,” she added.

However, giving another account of what happened on that night, an eyewitness, identified on Twitter as @Africansoracle, accused nemebriella_ of approaching Burna Boy for photos.

He tweeted, “The guy’s so-called wife went to snap with Burna Boy in his VVIP top corner and instead of him (husband) to wait till she returned, he went there violently to drag her out, then he was resisted for his confrontational approach by Burna’s security.”

He added that Burna Boy would not stoop low to approach a married woman when the club had a lot of single ladies.

Reacting, nemebriella_ shared a video of a scene from the club to dispel the claim that she approached Burna Boy on the night.

The video, however, only showed her dancing at one end of the club, while the singer was at the other.

Lamenting the silence of Club Cubana, nemebriella_  said nothing had been done by the club 11 days after the incident.

“To sum things up, I’m traumatised. I’ve broken down every day since then. The random flashbacks and nightmares. Especially after seeing @burnaboygram’s response,” she wrote.

Burna Boy had taken to Twitter to state that he won’t be shocked if he was accused of being the mastermind of Boko Haram.

“Nigerian social media can say Burna Boy started Boko haram, e no go shock me,” he tweeted.

The club owner, Obi Iyiegbu, aka Obi Cubana, in a post on his Instagram page on Monday, sympathised with all those affected by the incident.

He said, “As regards the issues making rounds the social media, we at Cubana Group have given all information at our disposal to the legal authorities.”

It will be recalled that the Lagos State Police Command detained the five policemen attached to the singer on the night of the shooting.

When  reached out to the spokesman for the command, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, for an update on the matter, he said, “Call the Force PRO, I’m not competent to speak on it.”

The Force Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, in response to a text message on the issue, said, “Ask PPRO Lagos, the matter is under investigation in Lag.”

Hundeyin, when reached again, said he would not speak on the issue until he got a directive from Adejobi.

 

Related Articles

Back to top button