Nine hospitalised after inhaling smoke from Ekiti dumpsite


No fewer than nine residents of Ilokun Government Reservation Area, within the vicinity of Progress FM in Ado-Ekiti, have been hospitalised after inhaling thick smoke emanating from a dumpsite located in the area.

The victims, including children, were rushed to a nearby hospital after inhaling the thick smoke from the dumpsite, which was set on fire.

NAN reports that heavy smoke generated from the burning of the dumpsite was said to have enveloped the whole community a few minutes after it was set ablaze, which later affected the health of inhabitants.

Meanwhile, some members of the community have protested the location of the dumpsite in the community and called for its relocation.

Confirming the incident, Mrs Olayinka Ajayi, the Treasurer of Landlord Association in the community, told newsmen that she was one of the victims.

Ajayi claimed she was rushed to the hospital, adding that she was restored to life with an inhaler when she could not breathe properly after inhaling the smoke.

She said the best option was to relocate the dumpsite from the community.

According to her, it has subjected residents of the community to various health hazards.

In his reactions, Mr Bayo Keleku, the Sole Administration, Ekiti State Waste Management Authority, said that the state government was trying its best to manage the dumpsite in a way that it won’t pose threat to the health of residents.

Keleku said the site was set ablaze by suspected bystanders and not the workers of the agency as being speculated.