News

Document contradicts Lagos Deputy Gov’s claim that firm got approval to erect collapsed 21-story building

More information have emerged on the tragic collapse of a 21-storey building under construction at the Ikoyi axis of Lagos State on Monday, November 2021.
Already 21 bodies have been recovered from the rubble while some injured persons are said to have been rushed to the hospital for treatment. Emergency responders have been stationed at the site of the collapse since Monday.
The Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat who visited the site of the collapse on Tuesday said the promoter of the collapsed building, Fourscore Height obtained approval from the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) to erect the building. Newsclickng.com reports that the Deputy Governor’s claim contradicts that of the suspended General Manager of LASBCA, Gbolahan Oki who said the owner of the building got approval for 15 floor.
Document obtained by TheGazelleNews.com and sighted by Newsclickng.com confirmed Oki’s position that only 15 floor was approved and not the 21 that was later erected.
The building permit
The document confirmed that the approval for 15 floor, three blocks of buildings was issued to Fourscore Height Limited of 44b,c,d Gerard Road, Southwest Ikoyi on by the Lagos State Physical Planning Permit Authority on 9 April, 2019.
The approval was given for construction of the buildings meant for residential purpose. The buildings address was 44b,c,d Gerard Road, Southwest Ikoyi.
The registration number for the approval was 1v2019/DO/033/67 issued on 5 April, 2019 while the Development Permit Number issued on 9 April, 2019 was DCB/DO/2442 IV.
Findings further revealed that the suspended GM only resumed in the agency two months ago and that it was the current Permanent Secretary in the state Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development who served as the DG of LASBCA when the approval was given.
It was also discovered that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had earlier ordered that the buildings be sealed off and this was done for four months. Thus, there is need for government and indeed, the investigative panel to uncover who authorised the Re-opening of the building construction.
Unconfirmed reports revealed that the file for the project was taken away by the current PS when she was promoted and redeployed form LASBCA.
There are also allegations that no due diligence was conducted on why the original structural engineers resigned and pull out from the project.
Meanwhile, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has defended the suspension of the GM. According to him, that was the first step to conducting a transparent probe into the unfortunate and avoidable collapse of the building.

Related Articles

Back to top button